Friday, August 02, 2013

The Long Trail of Vermont

Friends and Family,

I'm headed out on a little walking adventure for a bit.

My itinerary is to hike The Long Trail of Vermont. Built by the Green Mountain Club from 1910 to 1930, it's the oldest long-distance hiking trail in the United States. It's a precursor to the Appalachian Trail and it actually coincides with the Appalachian for about 100 miles. The Long Trail goes from the Vermont-Massachusetts border to the Vermont Canada border, over 272 green mountain miles. It begins near Williamstown, Massachusetts and ends near North Troy, Vermont.

I have my tent, sleeping bag, and plenty of beef jerky with me.

I will walk northward, hoping to cover roughly 15 to 20 miles per day, and finish the route in about two weeks (maybe a little more). My pack weighs 33 pounds with all my gear, water, and six days of food. I'll resupply at a trailside town or two along the way. For perspective, when I Through-Hiked the Appalachian Trail, my pack generally weighed more than twice what it does now...that was 18 years ago! I'm happy that technology has made big strides with ultralight backpacking gear.

I'm taking my current poetry manuscript with me to work on solidifying the final order of poems in the book. That will be my intellectual project for the trip, occupying my noggin as I stumble over muddy rocks and gnarly roots. I'll also be sending lots of love and happy energy to you all as I go. If, in these next couple of weeks, you happen to glance up at a mountain or stream, or take a favorite forested stroll, mentally send me some good vibrations...as I'll be sending them to you! I'll be traveling solo but keeping you all right next to my heart.

Shortly I'll step off the bus from New York City...I'm about to arrive in Williamstown, Massachusetts...it's a quick walk to the trail from there...the woods and mountains beckon...

Andiamo!

Dal mio cuore matto,
Matteo

No comments: