Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Playing with the children, by Zen Master Ryokan

trans. by Ryūichi Abé and Peter Haskel in Great Fool.

Early spring
The landscape is tinged with the first fresh hints of green
Now I take my wooden begging bowl
And wander carefree through town
The moment the children see me
They scamper off gleefully to bring their friends
They're waiting for me at the temple gate
Tugging from all sides so I can barely walk
I leave my bowl on a white rock
Hang my pilgrim's bag on a pine tree branch
First we duel with blades of grass
Then we play ball
While I bounce the ball, they sing the song
Then I sing the song and they bounce the ball
Caught up in the excitement of the game
We forget completely about the time
Passersby turn and question me:
"Why are you carrying on like this?"
I just shake my head without answering
Even if I were able to say something how could I explain?
Do you really want to know the meaning of it all?
This is it! This is it!

No comments: